Wednesday 15 July 2009

“Why are you still an environmentalist?”

The question to me was well meant, after all I have been shouting about the environmental problems for well over 25 years now, but the next remark made me think deeply.

“Don’t you see that it is almost hopeless?”

My answer was that at first I thought that I could change people before it was too late for the environment, but even when I realised that this was a near impossibility I still had to go on.

“Why?” was the next question.

My answer surprised me; I had to carry on because even if I could not change people, what I certainly did not want, was for them to change me.

5 comments:

equa yona(Big Bear) said...

Absolutely perfect response! And thanks for not giving up.

Stella said...

Well said.

And NONE OF US are going to give up.
ARE WE?

barefoot gardener said...

Wonderful response. And besides, nothing is hopeless....every person that you inspire to think twice about environmental issues is a small victory.

Margaret's Ramblings said...

Oh Peter, that answer was truely heaven sent.

Bless you.

Margaret

Layla said...

interesting response..

& of course, if *I* & my next kin don't make as much trash as we used to, & inspired ONE person to compost (who didn't before) one can consider oneself having done a LOT of good indeed!!

sometimes we think we must 'move masses' but if we have moved & inspired one person, well, that person's life is changed & who knows how many other people s/he can inspire?!